Recently I been on this marathon on self-help books, YouTube video’s on motivation, reading inspirational quotes everyday ect and I thought I would start sharing with you what I’m reading, watching ect. I’m not sure if you’re like this, but I tend to fill my head with a lot of self-doubt, second guessing things, thinking I’m not good enough ect. Not sure if you read my blog post a while back, but I recently quit my corporate job that I been at for 8 years to Dj full-time (scary!!). The last thing I need right now is to start filling my head with negative thoughts. So I thought I would start sharing the things that keeps me motivated everyday on my blog starting with this book review.
Recently I picked up these two books recommended by Shameless Mya (I’ll do a blog post about her later.. you will LOVE HER) by Austin Kleon – Show your work and Steal like an Artist.
What I love about these books is that they’re small and super easy to read AND there’s pictures too woohoo, but the information he gives in these books are straight to the point which I love!
Steal Like and Artist:
In this book he writes about how to be creative and stresses that nothing is “original” every creative person gets their inspiration aka what he calls stealing from someone. I like how he shows you a formula on how to come up with something creative. This is good info especially if you’re at a road block on trying to come up with a new project. Here’s some notes I took while reading the book:
- Study the people you look up too and find three people that they admire. Then study them too!
- Just show up and create the rest will come later
- Start copying things you love as practice. (example:Painters learn to paint by reproducing master pieces)
- Don’t just steal from one of your hero’s, you steal from all of them aka have multiple “inspirations” not just one.
- Make music that you would want to listen too (As a Dj this really made sense. I mean how can you expect other people to love the music you make or play when you don’t even like it)
Show your work:
In this book he really breaks down on how to show your work online via social media/blogs.I think this is a great book for Dj’s or anybody that’s in the creative field who wants to really get their work noticed online. This book is especially good for all you people who want to start blogs or already have one, but don’t know what the hell to write (Like me!)
Here are some key points I wrote down while reading this book:
- Share what you love and the people who love the same thing will find you
- Talk about the things you love
- Share your process (ex. influences and inspirations)
- Start a work journal and write your thoughts down
- Share something everyday
- When posting on social media before you hit the submit button. Ask yourself.. “So What”, “Is this helpful or entertaining?”
- Post quality and interesting things.. not your lunch/dinner or your latte.
- Tell story’s behind your work
- Share what you know
Here’s some questions he listed to ask yourself when trying to think of something to write in your blog:
- Where do you get your inspiration?
- What sort of things do you fill your head with?
- What do you read?
- Do you subscribe to anything?
- What sites do you visit?
- What music do you listen too?
- What movies do you see?
- What’s inside your scrapbook?
- What do you pin on your corkboard above your desk?
- Who’s done work that you really admire?
- Do you have any hero’s?
Hope this helped you out 🙂
If you have any suggestions on books, blogs, websites, ect that I should watch please let me know in the comments below (hey that rhymes!) I would love to hear about it.
Last week I attended this really cool event put on by Kahlua called “Kahlua Cult Film Nights” at Central Cinema courtesy of Kendall’s Dj and Events. This was my first time attending an event put on by Kahlua and let me tell you…. they sure know how to treat their guests! There was an open bar serving all the Kahlua favorites: Mind Erasers, White Russians, Black Russians, and Kahlua/Coffee. They also had appetizers, popcorn, brownies, and more Kahlua drinks all while watching the movie! Even the decor was all decked out in Kahlua gear!
The movie of the night was “Wet Hot American Summer”. The film takes place during the last day at a fictional Jewish summer camp in 1981, before closing for the summer. I must say after a few of those mind erasers this movie was pretty funny! LOL
Below are some pictures of the event that I took.
A few weeks ago I helped welcome the new Top Shop section at Nordstrom inside Alderwood mall!
If you didn’t know.. Top Shop is one of my FAVORITE brands! So of course you know I did a little shopping haha.
Below are some pictures I took of the event. Enjoy!
Last week I had the opportunity to Dj for the Rebecca Minkoff appearance at Nordstrom in downtown Seattle to celebrate the launch of her new jewelry line, including styles brought in exclusively for this Nordstrom event. While Dj’ing they asked me if Rebecca could get behind the turntables for a future April Fools post haha (check the pictures out below).
Here’s a sample playlist of some music I played for the event 🙂
PIP – Trash Talk
Santigold – Shove it (feat Spank Rock)
Peter Bjorn and John – Young Folks
AlunaGeorge- Best Be Believing
The Black Keys- Fever
Disclosure – White noise
Duke Dumont – The giver
Chromeo – Come alive
Phillip George – Wish you were mine
Dom Dolla – Love like this
Clean Bandit – Rather be
Tuxedo – Do it
The Internet – Runnin
Ed Sheeran – Sing
Here’s some pictures from Neiman Marcus’s make some noise event in Bellevue that I Dj’ed.
So happy to be spending my 2nd year with Neiman Marcus’s Project Beauty event!
Below are some pictures from the event 🙂
A few weeks ago I spun at the Sephora collection event in downtown Seattle and I must say even though it was a long shift. I had a great time playing for the Sephora crew. They were so sweet and they even gave me some free makeup samples (woohoo)!
Free goodies from Sephora! (I wish the YSL foundation was free too, but NOPE haha I bought it)
Me being focused! 🙂
Last week I did a series of events call Sip & Scan for Macy’s in the Seattle area.
I been doing these events for a few years now and I must say they do treat customers well! All you have to do is have wedding registry with them and they treat you with prizes, discounts, food, music (by yours truly) and some amazing vendors!
If you want more info on these vent just click here
Up coming Sip & Scan dates for Seattle:
Bellevue Square Macy’s
– Friday, February 6, 6:00 – 9:30pm
– Thursday, February 19, 6:00-9:30pm
– Saturday, March 21, 5:00 – 8:00pm
– Friday, April 24, 6:00 – 9:30pm
– Friday, May 15, 6:00 – 9:30pm
Downtown Seattle Macy’s
– Friday, February 20, 6:00 – 9:00pm
– Friday, March 20, 6:00 – 9:00pm
– Saturday, April 25, 2:00 – 5:00pm
– Friday, June 12, 6:00 – 9:00pm
Alderwood Mall Macy’s
– Saturday, February 21, 3:00 – 6:00pm
– Thursday, March 19, 6:00 – 9:00pm
– Friday, April 17, 6:00 – 9:00pm
– Saturday, May 16, 2:00 – 5:00pm
Tacoma Mall Macy’s
– Saturday, February 7, 3:00 – 6:00pm
Sal Floral Design
Happy New Year beautiful people!!
This week I finally posted my youtube video on “What’s in my Dj bag”?
I been seeing a lot of “guys” doing a “What’s in my Dj bag” video, but no females? So I decided to do one haha!!
Check out the video below and don’t forget to like and subscribe!